Layout Update Aug. 22, 2022

 I've been working steadily on the layout for the past week.  I've completed building 2 #5 turnouts (I use Fast Tracks tools) and installed them on the layout.  The turnout on the right provides access to the lumber mill siding and the one on the left is on the lumber line and provides access to the lumber camp.


 I haven't yet built the saw mill but I have started on the lumber shed where cut lumber is stored until it is loaded in box cars for shipment.  I'm scratch building the shed as I couldn't find a kit in N-scale that I liked.  I did find an image on-line of a  HO scale kit that I kind of liked.  The picture was from the Narrow Gauge and Short Line Gazette and the kit was by Mt. Albert Scale Lumber.  

I use this picture for inspiration, but I'm not building it exactly as shown.  I sketched my rough plans to build by and got started with details to be filled in as I proceed building.

I'm using 1/32” thick, 1/32” scribed basswood for the walls.  The walls are braced with 1/16 x 1/16” strip wood to minimize warping.  I stained the walls and floor with Vetero Raw Umber stain. The parts tended to warp quickly so I weighted everything down under wax paper while the stain dried.  The floor is 1/16” thick basswood.  So far I have the 3 walls erected and the lumber rack built on one side.  


weighting the walls down while the stain dries as to avoid warping




I'll build another lumber rack on the right side and then add the roof rafters and roofing material.  I originally intended to use shake roof shingles from Mudd Creek Models, but have now decided to use a product I just discovered:  Dr. Ben's Corrugated Material.  Nothing against the Mudd Creek product, I just think a corrugated tin roof is a better fit for this model.

Rather than butt the lumber shed up against the siding, I decided to have a separate loading dock and ramp.  I chose the kits by Blair Line.   These kits go together quickly and look great.








That's all for this update.  Now back to work on the layout.