Roads in Cawood, Part 2

 After looking at the roads I decided the Quaker Grey paint was too light so I made a mixture of the Quaker Grey and Charcoal to produce a darker grey.  I applied this to the roads and then used Vallejo's dark grey model wash to darken the roads.  This resulted in dark grey to black roads that I think look pretty good.  The wooden road crossings are by Blair Line.


The last step is to stripe the roads.  I'm not confident in my ability to hand paint the lines, so I went searching online for decals or other solutions.  I found vinyl decals from Highways & Byways in N-Scale.  I ordered a set via Ebay to see how they look.  Once I get the roads lined, I have crossing signals to install and that will have the roads complete.  I'll post the final pictures once this project is completed.


While I'm waiting on the decals for the roads, I installed the General Mine Supply building in Cawood and finished the scenery around it. {General Mine Supply is built from a kit by Motrack Models.  It is their McGuirl Transfer Depot kit.}  I used brass stairs from Gold Medal Models painted with Vallejo steel Model Air paint.  I superglued the stairs to the building and then added various figures and items on the docks.  The stone foundation is by Chooch Enterprises,  The back loading dock is from Blair Line.  Most figures are from Woodland Scenics.


In the pics we see Mr Kurland, owner, exiting the office on his way home as the last delivery of the day has been loaded. Meanwhile Mike is dragging a pallet inside the warehouse. And we see the supervisor, Mr. Smith, overseeing laborers John & Tom as they struggle to put a box on a pallet. Once they are finished he will no doubt talk to them about how that barrel wound up on the ground.   

A late addition to the scene is a spool of rope.


The spools were made from an Osborne Models kit.  I then dyed the spools with HunterLine dark-blue stain.  Lastly I wrapped white silk thread around the spool, attaching it with superglue.  Lasly I brushed the thread with tan chalk to better simulate the look of rope.







I really enjoy adding the little details to make a scene come to life.  Until next time - Happy Model Railroading.